Be an acorn volunteer
Whether at a Ten Oaks event or in the greater community, our volunteers are essential to sharing our mission and values with others. Volunteers help run awesome fundraisers, host family picnics, and table at Pride events.
We are looking for volunteers to join our Committees! The skillsets and experiences we’re looking for in volunteers vary by committee, and we very much value lived experiences and grassroots approaches.
All committees meet monthly for about 1-2 hours each, in-person or over the phone. The time commitment depends on what projects you volunteer to help with outside of monthly meetings (you will never be “volun-told” to do anything!).
If you’re interested in learning more or getting involved in any of the Committees, please send us an email!
Our Committees include:
- The Anti-Oppression Committee works to increase accessibility across the Ten Oaks Project, especially to people and communities who experience racism, transphobia, ableism, classism, misogyny, and other oppressive structures. We review the organization’s policies and procedures, provide feedback on communications materials, and work with the Board, staff, and other volunteers of the Ten Oaks Project to make sure all our programs, projects and events prioritize social justice and anti-oppression.
- The Fundraising Committee is in charge of all fundraising and revenue-generating efforts at the Ten Oaks Project, including individual and corporate donations, donor stewardship, sponsorship, event-based fundraising, and grants.
- The Ottawa Community Engagement Committee plans and runs events and community engagement opportunities for the Ten Oaks Project in Ottawa. We engage new LGBTQ+ families, raise awareness about the Ten Oaks Project in Ottawa LGBTQ+ communities, provide campers and camp alumni with opportunities to connect in the off-season, and help run event-based and third-party fundraisers in Ottawa.
- The Toronto Community Engagement Committee plans and runs events and community engagement opportunities for the Ten Oaks Project in Toronto. We engage new LGBTQ+ families, raise awareness about the Ten Oaks Project in Toronto LGBTQ+ communities, provide campers and camp alumni with opportunities to connect in the off-season, and help run event-based and third-party fundraisers in Toronto.
- The Programs Committee advises the Ten Oaks Project staff and Board of Directors on all matters relating to summer and year-round programs, including support, review, and evaluation of the Ten Oaks Project’s programs and risk and crisis planning.EndFragment