Outdoor Adventure Coordinator
Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from 2SLGBTQIA+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks was the first summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project that has grown to two separate weeks of programming in two different camp sites. Rooted in play and grounded in social justice, our fun and affirming camp utilises intentional magic to build community, facilitate accountable environments, and create possibility models of the world we want to live in.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. We strive to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our programming.
Outdoor Adventure Coordinator
The Outdoor Adventure Coordinator is responsible for the planning and delivery of outdoor programming (including out-tripping and naturalist exploration and learning) at Camp Ten Oaks. The time commitment for this position is for the staff to be available on-site for the camp orientation weekend and full-time during the week-long camp session.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work with the Assistant Directors of Operations to plan and deliver a fun, engaging, educational, and safe outdoor program for Camp Ten Oaks
- Plan and lead off-site canoe camping trips
- Plan and implement risk management and no-trace camping practices while on camping trips
- Plan and support other staff to lead environmental programming
- Plan and support other staff to lead overnight tent camping on-site
- Act as an additional program support member where needed
- Plan and pack food for on-site and off-site camping trips, in coordination with kitchen and the Assistant Director of Operations
- Plan and pack equipment for on-site and off-site camping trips, in coordination with Camp Counsellors
- Maintain the confidentiality of all staff and campers
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from 2SLGBTQIA+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Experience planning and delivering outdoor camp programming
- Registered with the National Lifesaving Society (NLS)
- Standard First Aid & CPR C
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is from March to September. On-site requirements at camp include the Staff Orientation weekend from May 11 – 14, CTO East camp week from July 28 – August 6, and CTO West camp week from August 23 – September 1. Virtual training sessions will also be required.
Since 2018, we have moved from a volunteer staff team to hiring all roles as paid staff. This change comes from an effort to make it easier for CTO staff to join us for both weeks of camp; to take valuable time away from their lives and jobs to support our campers. Pay for this position is $500/week. The in-person staff orientation is considered as one week of work, as are each week of camp. Returning staff who attended CTO in 2022 are offered an additional $50/week.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
All returning staff are asked to reapply every year regardless of their previous roles at camp by submitting a letter of intent outlining what role you are interested in taking on, any opportunities for growth you see for camp from within your role, as well as any personal goals you may seek to explore or accomplish while at camp this summer. We do this to ensure our commitment to disrupting historical patterns of power in the camping industry. Any new staff interested in learning about any roles are encouraged to reach out to the Programs Manager for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
Applications for this position are open until 11:59 PM on Sunday, March 26th, 2023.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.