Oak Tree Program Coordinators
Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from 2SLGBTQIA+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks was the first summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project that has grown to two separate weeks of programming in two different camp sites. Rooted in play and grounded in social justice, our fun and affirming camp utilises intentional magic to build community, facilitate accountable environments, and create possibility models of the world we want to live in.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. We strive to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our programming.
Oak Tree Program Coordinators
The Oak Tree Coordinators are responsible for the delivery of the Oak Tree Program for campers aged 16-17. Two Oak Tree Coordinators will work collaboratively to plan and deliver the program.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Working together to deliver a leadership program focused on skill-building, personal growth, and community development
- Managing the day-to-day schedule and responsibilities of Oak Tree campers
- Working with staff and Oak Tree campers to understand the objectives and role of the program within the camp community
- Ensuring the creation of a safe, growth-oriented, and positive community conducive to the goals of the program and vision of the Ten Oaks Project
- Providing Oak Tree campers with feedback (formal and informal) and coaching throughout their experience
- Work with the Leadership Team to finalize the program schedule.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating the development of leadership skills as well as experience with program development
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is from May to September. On-site requirements at camp include the Staff Orientation weekend from May 11 – 14, CTO East camp week from July 28 – August 6, and CTO West camp week from August 23 – September 1. Virtual training sessions will also be required.
Since 2018, we have moved from a volunteer staff team to hiring all roles as paid staff. This change comes from an effort to make it easier for CTO staff to join us for both weeks of camp; to take valuable time away from their lives and jobs to support our campers. Pay for positions on the leadership team is $500/week. The in-person staff orientation is considered as one week of work, as are each week of camp. Honorariums will be offered for ad hoc off-site duties. Returning staff who attended CTO in 2022 are offered an additional $50/week.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
All returning staff are asked to reapply every year regardless of their previous roles at camp by submitting a letter of intent outlining what role you are interested in taking on, any opportunities for growth you see for camp from within your role, as well as any personal goals you may seek to explore or accomplish while at camp this summer. We do this to ensure our commitment to disrupting historical patterns of power in the camping industry. Any new staff interested in learning about any roles are encouraged to reach out to the Programs Manager for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
To apply for this position, please complete the application form found here.
Applications for this position are open until 11:59 PM on Sunday, March 26th, 2023.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.