Volunteer at Camp Lifting Leaves
Applications are open for volunteers for Camp Lifting Leaves 2021.
All volunteers must successfully complete an interview, reference checks, and a police background check.
Welcome to the fourth annual session of Camp Lifting Leaves; a weekend-long, sleep-away camp experience for children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities who are at least 12 years old and have an active file with an Indigenous wellbeing or child welfare agency. Camp Lifting Leaves is a program of the Ten Oaks Project, run in partnership with Indigenous wellbeing agencies and child welfare agencies. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Lifting Leaves works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Lifting Leaves strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
The program team at Camp Lifting Leaves is made up of eight members. Responsibilities of the program staff include:
- Learning names and pronouns for your group of participants
- Lead or assist in activities that match their skills during the day and in evening programs, facilitate discussion groups, campfires, and other program activities as needed
- Work in partnership with chaperones to support the well-being of participants and the success of the program
- Maintain the confidentiality of all volunteers and campers
- Communicating with RKY staff to confirm meeting places and times for activities
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Experience working with children and youth will be considered an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practices
- Maintain the confidentiality of all staff and campers
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
Volunteers at Camp Lifting Leaves will be required to attend the virtual training session on September 26th from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. Volunteers are also required to be at RKY camp from 12:00 pm on Friday, October 15th, to 4:00 pm on Monday, October 18th.
Camp Lifting Leaves offers its volunteer Program Staff members a tiered scale honorarium to cover expenses such as time off work and transportation to and from camp.
Tier 1: I do not require an honourarium
Tier 2: $100
Tier 3: $150
Tier 4: $200
To help us make Camp Lifting Leaves accessible to as many people as possible, we ask that you select the tier that best reflects your budget. If none of the honourarium levels would make volunteering at camp accessible to you, the Programs Manager is available to discuss options.
Please note that you will not be asked about honouraria until you are offered a position at Camp Lifting Leaves; we do not want anyone to feel that if they ask for higher honourarium amounts, it will reflect poorly on them in the volunteer selection process. We will confirm your honorarium amount prior to your participation in training or camp.
Only the Programs Manager, the Executive Director, and the Treasurer will know the tier volunteers select. This information will be held in the strictest confidence.
Commitment to Equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of the Ten Oaks Project and Camp Lifting Leaves.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a letter of interest and resume by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM EST on Sunday, September 12th, 2021. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.