The Project Acorn Leadership Team is a four-person team of volunteer coordinators who select the YAC and ROC teams each year, guide and support the YAC in the development and delivery of Project Acorn, and oversee the evaluation of the program and its volunteers with the support of Ten Oaks Project’s Programs Manager. The Coordinators include ROC and YAC Programming and Support Coordinators, who work from an anti-oppressive and sex-positive framework.
Roles and Responsibilities
All Coordinators are responsible for:
Before Project Acorn
- Assisting in outreach for and the hiring of YAC members and ROCs
- Supporting and leading the facilitation of the YAC program, meetings and workplan
- Supporting the development of the Project Acorn program, promotion, recruitment, policies, structure and workplan, with the YAC
- Representing Project Acorn at relevant community events
- Planning and coordinating relevant training for the YAC, to be decided on with YAC members
- Supporting fellow Leadership Team members throughout the planning process, and at Project Acorn
At Project Acorn
- Coordinating the facilitation of Project Acorn including staff orientation, and the program itself
- Providing leadership to ensure that the program meets its stated objectives and goals, including youth leadership and engagement
- Making sure Project Acorn is fun, camp-y, magical, and full of glitter
After Project Acorn
- Coordinating the YAC and ROC debriefs
- Compiling staff evaluations
- Participating in report writing and Project Acorn evaluations
In addition, each Coordinator is responsible for several unique pieces of the program. Each will work with a corresponding Coordinators on these tasks (for example, the YAC Programming Coordinator and the ROC Programming Coordinator will work closely together, etc.)
The ROC and YAC Programming Coordinators are responsible for:
- Overseeing and coordinating the program schedule for Project Acorn, including workshop schedules, magic committees, the variety show, all-camp games, and ensuring the theme runs through the program
- Overseeing all programming aspects of Project Acorn, including reaching out to and booking workshop facilitators and keynote speakers
- Overseeing the organization and purchase of all supplies for Project Acorn
- Overseeing any follow-up with guests (workshop facilitators and keynote speakers) to Project Acorn after the program
In this work, the Coordinators will uphold and implement the mission, vision and values of the Ten Oaks Project, as well as the Project Acorn framework, policies and procedures. At all times, the ROC Coordinators are focused on ensuring that the voices, interests and needs of youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families and communities are at the centre of the development and implementation process of Project Acorn.
It is the expectation that the Coordinators will be available on a volunteer basis from January to August to carry out the duties of the Leadership Team. It is a job requirement that the Leadership Team be available on site for the entirety of Project Acorn (July 10-14, 2019).
The successful candidates will have at least two years relevant experience, with demonstrated experience coordinating and engaging youth in youth-driven projects, and be prepared to work from an anti-oppressive, anti-racist, sex-positive and youth engagement framework.