The acronym ROC stands for “Roots of Our Communities,” and these volunteers are supports/mentors/teachers/learners and hard-workers, and are invested in creating a magical experience for all those involved with Project Acorn! The ROC team is made up of 10 members aged 25+, including three coordinators.
how to apply to be a ROC
We are not accepting ROC applications at the moment for our 2017 session. We will post details around how to apply as a ROC volunteer on this page and on our social media in early 2017.
Role and responsibilities
ROCs commit to working from July-September, including an orientation in July, a full day of training and program set-up in August, and the four days of Project Acorn itself. Each ROC receives a $125 honorarium to help cover expenses such as time off work and transportation to and from Project Acorn. ROC tasks include but are not limited to:
- Exuding encouragement, praise, comfort, openness and self-awareness
- Supportively challenging their own and others’ pre-conceptions and encouraging (un)learning and growth
- Taking direction from YAC members and the Leadership Team (who may include folks younger in age)
- Supporting the set-up and take-down of various program elements, including workshops, all-camp activities, the variety show, the agency fair, and the campsite space itself
- Supporting participants individually and in groups
- Cheering YAC members on as they lead pod check-ins
- Facilitating workshops and activities as needed
- Acting as vibe-minders during various activities at the program
Please note that the staffing of this position is contingent on the successful candidate’s satisfactory completion of a police reference check.
Project Acorn offers its Roots of Our Communities members a tiered scale honorarium to cover expenses such as time off work and transportation to and from camp.
- Tier 1: I do not require an honourarium
- Tier 2: $50
- Tier 3: $100
- Tier 4: $125
To help us make Project Acorn accessible to as many people as possible, we ask that you select the tier that best reflects your budget. If none of the honourarium levels would make volunteering at Project Acorn accessible to you, the Programs Manager is available to discuss options.
Please note that you will not be asked about honourariums until you are offered a position at Project Acorn; we do not want anyone to feel that if they ask for higher honourarium amounts, it will reflect poorly on them in the ROC selection process. If you are considering applying as a volunteer for Project Acorn, please know that we can guarantee you an honourarium of $100 and we will do our best to accommodate all requests above $100. We will confirm your honorarium amount prior to your participation in Project Acorn.
Only the Programs Manager, the Executive Director and the Treasurer will know the tier ROC members select. This information will be held on the strictest confidence.