Child wrangler extraordinaire
Oak Grove Family Camp
Oak Grove Family Camp is a weekend long, sleep-away camp for LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, two spirit, and queer) families who have a child or youth aged 17 or under in their care. It is open to families who are headed by (a) LGBTQ+ parent(s) and those with an LGBTQ+ child. Oak Grove Family camp will be held for the first time in September 2017 after much demand from our communities!
child wrangler extraordinaire Volunteer
The Child Wrangler Extraordinaire is primarily responsible for providing childcare for children and youth from the ages of 0-6 while at Oak Grove Family Camp. TheChild Wrangler Extraordinaire volunteer will be a part of a team of three Child Wrangler Extraordinaire volunteers. The Child Wrangler Extraordinaire will provide a quality caring and supportive child care program at Oak Grove Family Camp that addresses unique child care needs, meets all regulatory standards required by federal, provincial and municipal governments, and operates within the Child Care Practitioner Occupational Standards and Code of Ethics as defined by the Canadian Child Care Federation.
role and responsibilities
- Planning and running appropriate activities and experiences for children that align with Ten Oaks’ mission, vision and values.
- Organizing space, equipment and materials before the activities start and the children are dropped off.
- Working cooperatively as a member of the childcare team, facilitating a team environment through personal behaviour, work contributions and the sharing of expertise and knowledge
- Adhering to a work schedule along with fellow Child Wrangler Extraordinaire to ensure program stays within set ratios and providing required adequate notice to supervisor regarding unexpected scheduling changes.
- Working in a camp setting and helping out the Ten Oaks staff team during off hours as per instructions from their supervisor.
- Pre-camp, the Child Wrangler Extraordinaire will work with the Programs Manager to develop the position and plan programming.
- Post-camp, the Child Wrangler Extraordinaire will complete an end of summer review with recommendations for the next camping season.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice in assessing and managing children and youth with behavioural and emotional needs.
- Standard First Aid & CPR C
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is June 2017 to September 2017. On-site requirements at the campsite (in Lombardy, Ontario) include the weekend of Oak Grove Family Camp (September 15-17, 2017). Off-site requirements include developing programming for the camp with the Programs Manager as well as attending a day-long orientation day in June, 2017 in Ottawa.
Volunteers at Oak Grove Family Camp are offered honoraria for their hard work and dedication. Honoraria are offered on a tiered scale and each member of the Child Wrangler Extraordinaire Team is guaranteed an honorarium of up to $100. For more information on how the honoraria work, please follow this link.
Commitment to Equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Oak Grove Family Camp.
how to apply
To apply for this position, please fill out this application form and send it along with your resume via email (email@example.com) by 11:59 PM on Sunday, July 9th 2017. Please also note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.