Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
Operations and program support
Our Support Team members need to be able to do a little bit of everything and could be in seven different places in a day, providing coverage and support to camp counselors, in the kitchen, and other areas as needed.
Role and responsibilities
- The Operations Support Staff are responsible for working with the kitchen staff from our host site to assist in coordinating dining room set-up and clean-up; assisting with out-tripping food prep; developing and leading food programming; and keeping the kitchen and dining hall clean and orderly in accordance with health guidelines.
- The Craft Shack Coordinator is a Program Support Staff responsible for planning and preparing arts and crafts programming; working with the Camp Director, Assistant Director of Programming, and other camp volunteers to purchase or collect craft shack inventory; maintaining the craft shack building and inventory; delivering a crafty weeklong program and other craft shack programs throughout the week; and supporting counsellors to plan and deliver their own creative programming.
- Program Support Staff are responsible to be a part of cabin activities, support all camp activities, and work with the Assistant Director of Programming to support where necessary to help programs run smoothly.
- Assist with program planning, set-up, and delivery.
- Work with counsellors and campers and participate in a variety of daily activities as catalysts, leaders, helpers, guides, listeners and, above all, as role models.
- Each Support Staff will either lead or assist in activities that match their skills during the day
- Replace camp staff unable to attend camp at the last minute or unable to stay throughout the duration of the program.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all staff and campers
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is May 2019 to September 2019. On-site requirements at camp includes the Staff Orientation weekend (May 9-12, 2019) and two weeks of Camp Ten Oaks (July 26 – August 4, 2019 and August 23 – September 1st, 2019). Off-site requirements being available on a volunteer basis from May to September of the camping season to carry out the duties of the position.
Since 2018, we have moved from a volunteer staff team to hiring all roles as paid staff. This change comes from an effort to make it easier for CTO staff to join us for both weeks of camp; to take valuable time away from their lives and jobs to support our campers. Pay for this position is $450/week.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
If you are a returning staff member, please submit a letter of intent outlining what role you are interesting in taking on, any opportunities for growth you see for camp from within your role, as well as any personal goals you may seek you explore or accomplish while at camp this summer.
Please also note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.