Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
The Healthcare Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Assistant Director of Healthcare in the coordination and response to the daily healthcare needs of the camp community.
Role and Responsibilities
- Dispense medication and administer first aid
- Keep records of treatment and medication for both campers and volunteers
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and equipment
- Maintain health and safety standards in all aspects of camp programming and out-tripping
- Support the Assistant Director of Healthcare with the end of summer review and recommendations for the next camping season.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all staff and campers
Skill and Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from 2SLGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Experience as a practitioner or advanced level student in the healthcare field
- Standard First Aid & CPR C
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is May 2019 to September 2019. On-site requirements at camp includes the Staff Orientation weekend (May 9-12, 2019) and two weeks of Camp Ten Oaks (July 26 – August 4, 2019 and August 23 – September 1st, 2019). Off-site requirements include being available on a volunteer basis from May to September of the camping season to carry out the duties of the position.
Since 2018, we have moved from a volunteer staff team to hiring all roles as paid staff. This change comes from an effort to make it easier for CTO staff to join us for both weeks of camp; to take valuable time away from their lives and jobs to support our campers. Pay for this position is $450/week.
Commitment to Equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please fill out this application form and send it along with your resume via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59PM EST on Sunday, February 3rd, 2019. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.