Camper Specialists (aka Care Bears)
Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
Camper Specialists (aka Care Bears)
The Camper Specialists are responsible for supporting counsellors in meeting the needs of their campers.
Role and Responsibilities
- Support the staff team in working with campers with who need extra support around behavioural and/or emotional needs and ensuring that individual protocols are followed
- Ensure that identified needs of campers are being addressed
- Be available during call-in hours to liaise with parents and/or guardians
- Provide support and guidance to camp volunteers in the event of camper disclosures or crises
- Assist the Assistant Directors of Healthcare and Staff as appropriate in providing camper care from an anti-oppressive framework
- Pre-camp, the Camper Specialists will work with the Assistant Director of Healthcare and Assistant Director of Staff to develop the individual camper protocols
- Post-camp, the Camper Specialists will complete an end of summer review with recommendations for the next camping season
- Maintain the confidentiality of all Staff and campers
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and provide guidance to counsellors
- Experience as a practitioner or advanced level student in the healthcare field
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is May 2018 to September 2018. On-site requirements at the campsite (in Parham, Ontario, and London, ON) include the Staff Orientation weekend (May 9-13, 2018) and two weeks of Camp Ten Oaks (July 27 – August 5, 2018 and August 24 – September 1, 2018). Off-site requirements being available on a volunteer basis from May to September of the camping season to carry out the duties of the position.
For the first time, we have moved from a volunteer staff team to hiring all roles as paid staff. This change comes from an effort to make it easier for CTO staff to join us for both weeks of camp; to take valuable time away from their lives and jobs to support our campers. Pay for this position is $450/week.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
If you are a returning staff member, please submit a letter of intent outlining what role you are interesting in taking on, any opportunities for growth you see for camp from within your role, as well as any personal goals you may seek you explore or accomplish while at camp this summer.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.