assistant director of programming
camp ten oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
assistant director of programming
The Assistant Director of Programming is responsible for facilitating the creation and implementation of a vibrant camper-centered program based on the principles of fun, inclusivity, social justice, anti-oppression, and capacity-building. The time commitment for this position is May to September, 2019 (pre-camp, at camp, and post-camp).
role and responsibilities
- Work to enrich overall camp life by thinking of the ‘little things’
- Maintain the confidentiality of all staff and campers
- Provide leadership to the overall program of camp
- Solicit input from the camp staff team on the design of the program schedule
- Coordinate special guests at camp
- Act as a program resource for all camp staff
- Coordinate round-ups, campfires, theme days, evening activities and special events
- Complete an end of summer review with recommendations of next camping season
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Strong background in program development
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is May 2019 to September 2019. On-site requirements at camp includes the Staff Orientation weekend (May 9-12, 2019) and two weeks of Camp Ten Oaks (July 26 – August 4, 2019 and August 23 – September 1st, 2019). Off-site requirements include program planning, staff scheduling, reviewing camper and staff medical details, volunteer evaluations and de-briefs (September- October 2019).
For the first time, we have moved from a volunteer staff team to hiring all roles as paid staff. This change comes from an effort to make it easier for CTO staff to join us for both weeks of camp; to take valuable time away from their lives and jobs to support our campers. Pay for positions on the leadership team is $500/week.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com by 11:59PM EST Sunday, February 3rd, 2019.
If you are a returning staff member, please submit a letter of intent outlining what role you are interesting in taking on, any opportunities for growth you see for camp from within your role, as well as any personal goals you may seek you explore or accomplish while at camp this summer.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.