Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
Our Camp Floaters need to be able to do a little bit of everything and could be in seven different places in a day, providing coverage and support to camp counselors, in the kitchen, and other areas as needed.
Role and responsibilities
- Assist with program planning, set-up, and delivery.
- Work with counsellors and campers and participate in a variety of daily activities as catalysts, leaders, helpers, guides, listeners and, above all, as role models.
- Each Floater will either lead or assist in activities that match their skills during the day
- Replace camp volunteers unable to attend camp at the last minute or unable to stay throughout the duration of the program.
- The Out-Tripping Floater is responsible for helping with trip, food, and equipment organization, packing, planning, and clean up; taking a lead role with on-site campouts; supporting campers and counsellors to pack their personal gear; assisting with pre-trip canoe lessons; assisting with nature-related programming; and general support for the out-trip program and outdoor adventure coordinator.
- The Craft Shack Floater is responsible for planning and preparing arts and crafts programming; working with the Camp Director, Assistant Director of Programming, and other camp volunteers to purchase or collect craft shack inventory; maintaining the craft shack building and inventory; delivering a crafty weeklong program and other craft shack programs throughout the week; and supporting counsellors to plan and deliver their own creative programming.
- The Kitchen Floaters are responsible for working with the kitchen staff from RKY Camp (our host site) to assist in food preparation, food service and food programming at camp; coordinating dining room set-up and clean-up; assisting with out-tripping food prep; developing and leading food programming; and keeping the kitchen and dining hall clean and orderly in accordance with health guidelines.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all volunteers and campers
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is May 2017 to September 2017. On-site requirements at the campsite (in Parham, Ontario) include the Volunteer Orientation weekend (May 12-14, 2017) and week of Camp Ten Oaks (July 28 – August 6, 2017). Off-site requirements include being available on a volunteer basis from May to September of the camping season to carry out the duties of the position.
Volunteers at Camp Ten Oaks are offered honoraria for their hard work and dedication. Honoraria are offered on a tiered scale and each member of the volunteer team is guaranteed an honorarium of $300. For more information on how the honoraria work, please follow this link.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
To apply for this position, please fill out this application form and send it along with your resume via email (email@example.com) by 11:59PM EST on Sunday, April 9th, 2017. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.