Camper Specialists (aka Care Bears)
Camp Ten Oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
Camper Specialists (aka Care Bears)
The Camper Specialists are responsible for supporting counsellors in meeting the needs of their campers.
Role and Responsibilities
- Support the volunteer team in working with campers with who need extra support around behavioural and/or emotional needs and ensuring that individual protocols are followed
- Ensure that identified needs of campers are being addressed
- Be available during call-in hours to liaise with parents and/or guardians
- Provide support and guidance to camp volunteers in the event of camper disclosures or crises
- Assist the Assistant Directors of Healthcare and Volunteers as appropriate in providing camper care from an anti-oppressive framework
- Pre-camp, the Camper Specialists will work with the Assistant Director of Healthcare and Assistant Director of Volunteers to develop the individual camper protocols
- Post-camp, the Camper Specialists will complete an end of summer review with recommendations for the next camping season
- Maintain the confidentiality of all volunteers and campers
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and provide guidance to counsellors
- Experience as a practitioner or advanced level student in the healthcare field
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is May 2017 to September 2017. On-site requirements at the campsite (in Parham, Ontario) include the Volunteer Orientation weekend (May 12-14, 2017) and week of Camp Ten Oaks (July 28 – August 6, 2017). Off-site requirements include being available on a volunteer basis from May to September of the camping season to carry out the duties of the position.
Volunteers at Camp Ten Oaks are offered honoraria for their hard work and dedication. Honoraria are offered on a tiered scale and each member of the volunteer team is guaranteed an honorarium of $300. For more information on how the honoraria work, please follow this link.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
To apply for this position, please fill out this application form and send it along with your resume via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59PM EST on Sunday, April 9th, 2017. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.