assistant director of programming
camp ten oaks
Launched in 2004, Camp Ten Oaks is a one-week, sleep-away camp for children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities ages 8-17. Camp Ten Oaks is the first and only summer camp of its kind in Canada, and is a program of the Ten Oaks Project. Our programming variety allows campers to receive instruction, strengthen old skills and develop new ones with the option to participate in outdoor adventure, waterfront, arts, social justice activities, and sports.
Camp Ten Oaks works from a camper-centered, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist framework. Camp Ten Oaks strives to offer an environment as diverse as the campers who enjoy our camp programming.
assistant director of programming
The Assistant Director of Programming is responsible for facilitating the creation and implementation of a vibrant camper-centered program based on the principles of fun, inclusivity, social justice, anti-oppression, and capacity-building. The time commitment for this position is March to December, 2017 (pre-camp, at camp, and post-camp).
role and responsibilities
- Work to enrich overall camp life by thinking of the ‘little things’
- Maintain the confidentiality of all volunteers and campers
- Provide leadership to the overall program of camp
- Solicit input from the camp volunteer team on the design of the program schedule
- Coordinate special guests at camp
- Act as a program resource for all camp volunteers
- Coordinate round-ups, campfires, theme days, evening activities and special events
- Complete an end of summer review with recommendations of next camping season
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs of children and youth from LGBTQ+ identities, families, and communities
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism and anti-oppressive practice
- Strong background in program development
- Completion of a police record check for the vulnerable sector
The time commitment is March 2017 to December 2017. On-site requirements at the campsite (in Parham, Ontario) include the Volunteer Orientation weekend (May 13-14, 2017) and week of Camp Ten Oaks (July 29 – August 6, 2017). Off-site requirements include program planning (May-July, 2017), volunteer evaluations and de-briefs (August-September, 2017), and contributing to the end of year report (December, 2017).
Volunteers at Camp Ten Oaks are offered honoraria for their hard work and dedication. Honoraria are offered on a tiered scale and each member of the Leadership Team (including the AD Programming) is guaranteed an honorarium of up to $2500. For more information on how the honoraria work, please follow this link.
commitment to equity
In keeping with the Ten Oaks Project’s commitment to equity, applicants are strongly encouraged to self-identify in their applications. Applicants are encouraged to share accessibility needs in the application process, and every attempt will be made to accommodate them.
Applicants will be selected based on experience, skills, and demonstrated commitments aligned with the goals of Camp Ten Oaks.
how to apply
To apply for this position, please fill out this application form and send it along with your resume via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59PM EST on Sunday, April 9th, 2017. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.